buzzoole code Socially Connected Consulting: My Kind Of Foodie Town-Chicago

Create. Engage. Grow Your Business

Friday, August 30, 2013

My Kind Of Foodie Town-Chicago


chicago
Took this pic on the way to Streetfood Artistry from the L train


As many of you know I'm from Chicago.  I love Chicago.  For me it's the perfect city.  So when I knew I was going home this summer, I made it a point of making sure to try some new foods.  I tried to get to as many places as I could. The weather was perfect this summer.  Not too hot or cold.  Made traveling around the city quite easy.  Unfortunately time got away from me and I ended up not going as many places as I would have liked.


Photo0275.jpg
Jerk 312 Fries

Photo0285.jpg
Puffs of Doom Puffs


I won a ticket to StreetFood Artistry.   I was excited to go because I wasn't able to make it to the Taste of Chicago this year.  I was a little disappointed that the free ticket didn't include a wristband so I could partake in drinking alcohol and that there weren't more food trucks.  One of the food trucks I did like there was Jerk 312.  I tried the delicious spicy jerk fries.  They were spicy, but not so spicy that I couldn't enjoy them. The Fat Shallot had a a grilled cheese with caramelized onions and spinach.  That was really good.  I only got a half and wished I had gotten a whole sandwich.  The lemon gelato from Gelato D'Oro was refreshing.   Puffs of Doom is a great idea, but I wish I liked them more.  I tried the maple bacon vanilla and peach cobbler.  The peach cobbler wasn't sweet enough for me.  The maple bacon vanilla was ok. I think they would have tasted better warm too.

Photo0279.jpgPhoto0281.jpg
The Fat Shallot Grilled Cheese



Before my husband and I went to see Book of Mormon which was awesome, we went to an old favorite My Thai. I had the pineapple curry shrimp.  It was delicious. Lots of flavor and plenty of shrimp.  What I love about My Thai is that it's never difficult to get a seat, the food is served quickly, it's inexpensive and good.

Photo0287.jpgPhoto0289.jpg
Gelato D'Oro Lemon Gelato


Of course I did have some deep dish pizza.  I went to my favorite place Giordano's where it's called stuffed pizza.  I had the stuffed spinach.  It's like eating a piece of heaven.  Giordano's is my favorite place to have pizza.

https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/u/0/?ui=2&ik=5d1fb37163&view=att&th=140cae4ee5376760&attid=0.22&disp=inline&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P_pchGyRWm-rVS05yn-twGC&sadet=1377878888300&sads=Nxesf7hYd_cxpvmKSu6qym7tJIM
My favorite pizza stuffed spinach from Giordano's!


I took the kids to Home Run Inn after the last day of camp.  The kids had chicken and burgers.  I had the Wild Rice Orzo salad.  It has wild rice, orzo, nutty wheat berries, cranberries, corn niblets, toasted almonds and bell peppers dressed in a red wine vinaigrette sweetened with Stevia.  It was good, but I think it would have been better served warm.  

I managed to catch one food truck in the Loop.  Flirty Cupcakes never lets me down.  The kids had the oreo cupcake.  I had the Beached Coconut.  It had a thick layer of sweet coconut frosting.  The cupcake was moist.  Loved it.  

https://mail-attachment.googleusercontent.com/attachment/u/0/?ui=2&ik=5d1fb37163&view=att&th=140cae4ee5376760&attid=0.2&disp=inline&safe=1&zw&saduie=AG9B_P_pchGyRWm-rVS05yn-twGC&sadet=1377879093987&sads=Xq7jiX91zSUOlIrlTSR8_9ohBNo
Beached Coconut Cupcake


Went to lunch with my friend Paula at Kikuya Japanese restaurant in my favorite neighborhood Hyde Park.  I had the combination platter with salmon teriyaki and California roll.  The salmon was a bit charred the way I like it.  The teriyaki sauce was perfect.  I wish it included more vegetables. California roll was delicious. 


Summer isn't over.  If you are a foodie and are coming to Chicago there are still many foodie events to attend.  Just check out The Local Tourist events calendar.  Also Chicago Gourmet is September 27-29.

Not sure if we will be going home next year. The next time we go to Chicago I want to try more restaurants and food trucks.  I would like to spend all of my time doing that!  A Foodie's dream!

No comments:

Post a Comment